Washer Dryer Combo Reviews (2020): Pros Cons & How to Choose the Best
Having clean clothes is an essential part of today’s busy lifestyle and, luckily for us, doing a load or two of laundry is easier than ever. Over the years, manufacturers have designed laundry sets to fit into different spaces in the home. The washer dryer combo is an example of a versatile all-in-one washing machine and dryer that takes up a small footprint. The washer dryer combo works like a regular front-loading washer and a regular dryer by taking a single load of laundry all the way from washed, to rinsed, to dry. Say good-bye to switching loads from the washer to the dryer. And, what’s nice is this single 24-inch appliance can be tucked in a closet or under a counter. Another benefit is that they are ventless, so they can be placed anywhere.
The term washer dryer combo is often confused by washer and dryer set or compact washer. Now that we covered the washer and dryer combo, we'll touch upon the definition of compact washer and traditional washer and dryer set.
The compact washer and dryer are space-efficient and offer full functionality while fitting in a tight laundry space; tucked under a countertop; or stacked in a closet or cabinet. With this type of versatility, you can relocate an outdated washer and dryer set from the basement to a hallway or second floor bedroom quite easily. Often referred to as an “apartment-size” washer and dryer set, these smaller, more space-efficient laundry pairs offer the same cycles, features and fabric care as their larger counterparts. And, to boot, the dryers are offered in vented and ventless models.
The traditional standard-sized washer and dryer is mostly 27-inches wide. They come top load or front load washer configuration. You can use the set side by side or stack the dryer on top of the washer. Standard sized washer and dryers offer a host of options, from features to accessories like pedestals and colors and styles, the choices really are endless.
When shopping for a washer dryer combo, start with the footprint in your home, estimate how often you will be doing laundry and how accessible you need your laundry set to be. As for the machines themselves, there are key distinctions to consider. Are you interested in a 27-inch large washer dryer combo? Maybe you have a smaller space and would like to tuck a washer and dryer combo under a countertop. Or utilize a tall closet and stack a dryer on top of a washer. Maybe you have just a 24 inch footprint and would like to consider a single machine - an all-in-one washer dryer combo. In this article, we’ll review the differences and similarities of washer dryer combos and guide you to what fits best in your space.
Washer and Dryer Combo: Pros and Cons
Benefits of having a washer and dryer combo
- If you have a limited space you can have a washer and dryer
- Quiet performance
- 1400 RPM motor extracts maximum moisture
- Ideal for single users or for couples. Beats taking a trip to a laundromat
- Great form factor, attactive design
- Wifi connect great for remote management and gets you diagnostics
- Be prepared for a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2-hour wash and dry cycle depending on the fabrics
- If you are a family with children long cycles times will be inefficient
Tips to get the most out of your washer dryer combo
- Install in a room with good ventilation for faster drying results
- Some people take a portion of the laundry out once the wash program is over and air dry it. This saves time during dry cylcle for towels and cottons that take time.
- Remove lint after every load
- Start laundry before going to bed or going to out. When you wake up or come back home you will have a fresh clean load of clothes.
Best Washer Dryer Combo 2020
Width: 24-inch | Height: 33 1/2-inch | Depth: 25 1/4-inch | Capacity: 2.3 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 14 | RPM: 1,400 | Color: Graphite Steel | Steam Washer/Dryer: Yes | Voltage: 110V | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: Yes | Dryer: Ventless Condenser
Why We Like it:
- Standar 2.3 cu. ft. capacity
- SmartThinQ Wifi Technology expands limit of your laundry room
- TubClean Cycle ensures the machine is always clean
- Cold Wash Technology
- Steam Clean Technology
- 110V power makes it versatile
The 24-inch helps you enjoy all available convenience during your laundry time without compromising. The all-in-one washer dryer makes use of ventless condenser to dry your clothes, eliminating the trouble of venting externally. The 6motion technology incorporates drum moves that help agitate clothes in a gentle yet effective format.
The steam technology feature simply permeates the clothes to take out dirt and foul odors. It enables you to select a cycle, start-stop and finish the wash, and get notifications when the function is completed all from your smartphone. With Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, you can control your laundry with voice commands.
Width: 23 1/5-inch | Height: 33 1/10-inch | Depth: 23 1/5-inch | Capacity: 1.96 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 16 | RPM: 1,400 | Color: White | Steam Washer/Dryer: No | Voltage: 208/240V | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: No | Dryer: Ventless Heat Pump
Why We Like It:
- Tub Sanitize Cycle
- Ventless Drying System
- Water Cooling Operation
- Wash and Wear Cycle
- Optima Inverter Motor Technology
- Compact 24-inch capacity
Experience optimum conservation of energy and water with the Bloomberg WMD24400W. The machine features an automatic water adjustment system that helps release the exact amount required for each laundry load. It calculates the size of the laundry and uses the precise quantity of water for a thorough rinse.
It offers a fast cleaning cycle for small loads of unsoiled clothes. It also has the recent laundry Technology with easy to use liquid detergent, delivering the best washing conditions for your fabrics. With a ventless drying operation and water-cooled operation, this Bloomberg washer dryer combo is very simple to use.
Width: 27-inch | Height: 38 11/16-inch | Depth: 29 3/4-inch | Capacity: 4.3 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 8/12 | RPM: 1,300 | Color: White | Steam Washer/Dryer: No | Voltage: 120V | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: No | Dryer: Ventless Condenser
Why We Like It:
- 5.0 cu ft. Ultra Large Capacity
- DirectiveDrive Motor uses fewer moving parts for more efficient operation and reduced chances of damage
- SmartDiagnosis for quicker damage detection
- Turbowash technology
- Steam wash technology
- Ventless Condensing Drying System
- Dual LED electronic control Display
Fast forward your laundry time without letting down your standards of the thoroughness with LG WM3997HWA 27-inch washer dryer combo. It is designed to deliver efficient cleaning while reducing wash time with the twin spray nozzle and atomizing rinse feature. The machine comfortable handles eight pounds of cloths in one wash, an upgrade on new front loader combos.
The SmartDiagnosis makes use of the self-detection technology to transfer information to the product customer care. Furthermore, the ColdWash feature uses cold water and upgraded motions of washing to permeate into fabrics. This feature helps you to save more energy on a warm water wash.
Width: 23 7/16-inch | Height: 33 1/4-inch | Depth: 25 5/8-inch | Capacity: 2.4 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 14/3 | RPM: 1,450 | Color: White | Steam Washer/Dryer: Yes | Voltage: 120V | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: Optional | Dryer: Ventless Condenser
Why We Like It
- Steam Wash penetrates the fabric and loosens stains while protecting your cloth
- Sanitize cycles enables a deeper clean with High heat to kill bacteria
- Five soil level selections aid you take control of the wash cycle
- Add-a-garment button pauses the operation, opens the door and allows you to add a fabric
- 1,450 RPM motor extracts moisture effectively leaves less work for the dryer
- Detergent, Bleach and Fabric Softener Dispensers
You can wash all your items in less time with the 2.4 cubic feet capacity GE GFQ14ESSNWW washer dryer combo. A small load with lightly soiled items is designed to finish a wash cycle in 33 minutes. The steam wash features helps detergent to penetrate deep in the fibers of your clothing. This loosens hard to fight stains and removes them easily. Steam in combination with hot temperature is ideal for sanitization. Great for families with infants or allergy sufferers.
The machine can be conveniently installed under the counter without an external vent. It washes and dries your clothes in a single step combination washer and dryer that saves space and time.
No need to bother on excessive use of detergent with the automatic dispensers installed in the washer dryer combo. Fabric softener and bleach will release automatically at an optimal point during the wash cycle.
Width: 24-inch | Height: 33 1/2-inch | Depth: 25 1/4-inch | Capacity: 2.3 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 14/8 | RPM: 1,400 | Color: White | Steam Washer/Dryer: No | Voltage: 120V | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: No | Dryer: Ventless Condenser
Why We Like It:
- Has been on the market for a long time. It is the predecessor of WM3499HVA with lower RPM motor and without the wifi.
- True balance Anti-Vibration System is designed to reduce the noises that emanate from washing operations. It ensures smooth and silent operation in any location in your home.
- SmartDiagnosis helps you detect problems without checking. The app analyses record of special tones emitted by the units and immediately provides solutions to it.
- 6Motion Technology combines six different wash motions for an ultimate cleaning
LG WM3488HW washer dryer combo offers you an effortless laundry time on your piles of jeans, sweatshirts, and towels. It ensures that your large piles of laundry go down in fewer loads with its huge 2.3 cu. ft. capacity. It's perfect for attachments.
The large size notwithstanding, this compact washer is perfect for apartments, condos, or small spaces. It eliminates stubborn stains with a 158F heated water, thanks to the sanitary cycle feature that comes with the gadget. You can control your wash cycles and download advanced ones with the NFC tag-on Technology.
Width: 26 3/4-inch | Height: 75 7/8-inch | Depth: 30 7/8-inch | Capacity: Washer/Dryer 3.8/5.9 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 11 | RPM: 800 | Color: White | Steam Washer/Dryer: No | Voltage: 240V (Gas version 120V) | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: No | Dryer: Vented
Why We Like It:
- Separate washer and dryer gives you the freedom and saves time as you can wash and dry at the same time.
- Vented dryer is faster compared to condensing dryers.
What Are the Disadvantages?
- Your laundry room will resemble 1970s. Not the most attractive look.
- Takes up more space than a modern washer dryer combo
- Low RPM motor does not extract maximum moisture during wash cycle this in turn add time in dryer
- Not as gentle on clothes as the front load technology
The GE GUD27ESSMWW is technically not a washer dryer combo. In the industry, we refer this style as a laundry center. However, most people think of the unitary laundry center as a washer dryer combo. In the interest of not dissapointing our readers we included this product as part of our recommendation.
If you are looking for a direct replacement of your old laundry centers the
GE GUD27ESSMWW might be an ideal choice. It comes in 27-inch or 24-inch width and with gas or electric dryer options. GE makes this laundry center in white as well as diamond gray color.
GE recently released the Energy Star certified version of this product the GE GUD27EESNWW at a slighly higher price point and a slightly larger drum capacity. The company also makes a version designed for extended vent lines (a.k.a. long vent version) the GE GUV27ESSMWW.
Just like other laundry centers this washer automatically measures the load size and dispenses the exact amount of water and detergent needed for a clean wash. It dries up your cloth with a four-cycle 800 RPM maximum spin speed. All in all, this unitized laundry center is designed to be a replacement piece for GE rather than a pillar of wash quality.
No matter how you cut it, by virtue of having the washer and the dryer in the same box, a washer dryer combo takes a long time to finish a cycle. This still beats going to the laundrymat around the corner for a communal laundry experience as wellas the expense of a trip to the cleaners.
Many familites appreciate the sanitization features of a washer dryer combo which give them a little peace of mind with their infants during post Covid19 days.
Do I need to use special detergents in a washer dryer combo?
No, a washer dryer combo uses the standard, supermarket variety high-efficiency detergent. So, there would be no need for an extra expense.