10 Best Garden Shed Kit – DIY Storage Shed
Have you ever looked out at the tools, toys, and things scattered about your back lawn and thought about how you’d really like to clean the place up but don’t really have anywhere to store those things? Well, if you’ve got the space to spare, a garden shed can really comet to the rescue regarding yard clutter. Of course, not everyone is equipped to build their very own garden shed from scratch with no instructions, which is why we opted to look into garden shed kits instead. The range of sizes, styles, and materialities you can find out there, particularly when you’re shopping online, is rather impressive indeed.
We’ve been gathering the links for the best garden shed kits we could find for a number of weeks now. Rather than choosing right off the bat and jumping into a purchase, doing a bit of extra research can really help you make the most of what you buy once it arrives. Comparing and contrasting the features on the different garden shed kits that fall within your budget is a great way to ensure that you’re actually putting your money down on the very best design for you.
What is a garden shed kit?
The purpose of a garden shed kit is essentially to provide you with everything you need, in one place, to make a new garden shed happen. Kits provide you with all of the supports, screws, brackets, siding pieces, and boards that you need to put a shed together using a set of instructions. You’ll often need to use tools of your own, but you typically won’t have to purchase materials outside of the kit, since it’s all conveniently packaged in once place for ease and speed.
Who might benefit from buying a kit?
Garden shed kits are the kind of purchase that can benefit all kinds of different people, and for all kinds of different reasons. Garden shed kits are:
- Often more affordable than pre-built sheds because the labour is yours and the pieces are bundled instead of needing separate purchase
- Great for people who are handy and enjoy building things themselves but don’t yet feel experienced enough to design and build a shed completely independently, with no instructions or materials on hand
- Beneficial for people who have a limited ability to pick up a whole pre-built shed from the store; kits are delivered broken down and packaged up conveniently, making them convenient by mail order
Are you feeling curious to learn more about garden shed kits before you make your final purchase? Check out our pros and cons list of the very best options we found in our search!
Are you the kind of person who actually does have some experience working with wood and even has some on hand, but definitely needs the other parts of the shed supplied for you? Well, if you’re looking for something simple and averagely sized, then you might prefer this shed kit from 2x4Basics. This shed lets you customize its size within a certain range or dimensions and give all versions a cute peaked roof. It includes design plans and detailed instructions, as well as brackets and hinges made from rust resistant galvanized steel. The kit is meant for ease in building, requiring only straight and 90 degree cuts rather than any angles. You can even combine more than one kit to make a single shed that’s double the size.
Keep in mind that this kit does not come with the actual lumber that’s required to make it included. The photos naturally require display of lumber to show off the shed’s features and dimensions, but you will be responsible for getting your own lumber elsewhere and cutting it to to the proper lengths. This is a perk for some people, but a difficult and budget constraint for others.View price on Amazon
- Stainless steel brackets and hinges that are strong, durable, and rust resistant
- Easily combined with a second kit to make a shed that’s double the size
- No angled cuts necessary; all designed with straight or 90 degree cuts
- Natural wooden materiality and charming peaked roof
- Kit does not come with the lumber it needs provided; this must be purchased separately and cut to size
Are you actually looking for quite a large design that has a little more old fashioned charm and style to it? Then maybe you’ll find what you need in this kit from EZ Shed. The kit helps you build a sizeable shed that’s shaped like the kind of barn you’d find on an old farm, but with a freshly made look to it. You can choose to use one kit alone for a shed that’s 7′ x 8′ or easily combine more than one kit to increase the dimensions exponentially. In the bundle, you’ll get galvanized steel brackets and base plates that help you build the structure’s frame easily and eliminate the need for angled cuts, letting you work with 90 degree cuts instead.
Besides the fact that this kit doesn’t come with the lumber or siding required to finish it (which, once again, is a blessing for some and a curse for others), some previous buyers reported that they received their kit missing several parts. When those people contact customer service in an attempt to have the parts sent, they found the communication on the brand’s end frustrating.View price on Amazon
- Easily combined with more than one kit for larger dimensions
- Charming old fashioned barn shape for aesthetic
- Durable, rust resistant galvanized steel brackets and hinges
- No need for angled cutting; sticks to use of easy 90 degree cuts at board ends
- Lumber and siding to complete kit not provided
- Some buyers found their kit to be missing pieces on arrival and had trouble with poor customer support in seeking replacements
Are you looking for a kit that definitely has some farmhouse character but looks a little different than the classic barn shape? Then maybe you’d rather something like this piece from Best Barns Inc. This kit comes with all materials provided, including siding that is already primed and features a 50 year warranty. The sliding barn doors are pre-built and arrive ready to install, with their brackets already in place; all you need to do is place the bar and hook them on. The wooden pieces for the frame and the trim details are pre-cut for ease. You can even get help with the detailed assembly instructions on a 24/7 customer support line.
Be aware that the flooring system shown in these photos is not part of what’s included in this package. More than one buyer reports having ordered the kit with the understanding that they would also receive the materials to make this feature. It’s also worth nothing that even though you receive all of the necessary materials and instructions, this project is still quite difficult and definitely not intended for beginners with no woodworking experience.View price on Amazon
- All materials provided, including frame wood, siding, brackets, door tracks, and trim
- Pre-built barn door system that’s ready to install
- 50 year warranty on primed siding
- Detailed instructions with a 24/7 phone support line for backup
- Flooring system displayed in the photos is not actually included in the kit
- Difficulty level is high; kit is not intended for beginners with no woodworking experience
Are you actually a woodworker with a lot more experience under your belt, so you’re not opposed to the idea of making something from scratch so long as you have a bit of guidance long the way? Then this next kit from BG APP might be made for you. Rather than being a supplies kit that sets you up to start building, this resource is actually an app that contains a series of designs and plans fro you to choose from and follow. The app provides you with detailed instructions, photos and dimensions for each plan so you can pre-measure your space, supplies lists so you can buy the correct things, and a guide for building the shed you choose. The plans were designed by a working carpenter who has plenty of knowledge and expertise in the area of design as well.
Be aware that this app requires a number of permissions and setting chances to download. We’d absolutely suggest checking your operating system’s capabilities and running settings before making your purchase, just to make sure it’s all compatible. Several previous buyers paid the money first, found that the app wouldn’t download properly, open correctly, or give them access to the guides, and assumed the resource must be a scam.View price on Amazon
- Wide range of custom shed design plans to choose from
- Detailed instructions mapped out by a professional carpenter with design experience
- Photos and descriptions of shed dimensions for pre-measuring to ensure the final product’s proper fit
- Products and supplies list for each design to help you purchase everything necessary for each plan
- Plans do not come with any supplies at all
- App download requires several settings changes and permissions; many have purchased without checking these and found that the app won’t download or open and they can’t see the plans
Do you have a much more limited space to work with and less to store, but you’re still feeling intent on making a new shed for your yard? Then perhaps you’d be better off with something like this more space efficient firewood shed kit offered by Goplus. This shed, with comes with all materials required for building, is made from solid fir wood that’s naturally durable and rot resistant. The shed’s tilted asphalt roof encourages runoff and protects the shed and its contents from wear and harsh weather. Inside, half the shed is a storage space that gives you the full vertical height, while the other half is divided into three strong wooden shelves for organization. The double door design makes the shed easy to open and close and the durable metal brackets, hinges, handles, and lock keep the contents inside well protected.
Although most people were very pleased indeed with the shed, others had two primary complaints. The first was that, despite the fact that the shed actually turned out to be quite easy to build, the instructions provided with it were unclear enough that they actually made things a little more complicated than necessary. The second complaint was over the fact that there’s no inner base frame built into this shed, rendering its structure a little less solid than some buyers were expecting.View price on Amazon
- All materials for construction featured in the kit, including the wood
- Durable metal brackets, hinges, handles, and lock for protection of contents
- Good inner organization thanks to three strong shelves and one fully vertical hal
- Angled asphalt roof protects shed and contents from harsh weather
- Lack of inner base frame made shed less solid than some buyers were expecting
- Unclear instructions actually made shed feel harder to build than it really is
If you’re still looking for a fully stocked shed kit that has some personality, but you just haven’t see the one that quite suits your yard yet, maybe this kit from Best Barns Inc is worth looking at. Like their other kits, this one comes with all of the materials you’ll need to make the finished shed happen. This includes the pre-primed siding, which features a 50 year warranty. These barn doors, which swing open and closed rather than sliding like before, once again come pre-built and ready to install. The wood for the framing and trim is pre-cut to the right lengths and labelled so that all you have to do is assemble the pieces. You’ll even get adorable shutters for the windows. The whole process is mapped out in an assembly guide that has its own phone support line.
Although there were not outright complaints about this particular design or its process, it’s worth noting that this brand is known for its difficulty. Even though the kits are well stocked and actually provide you with all the materials and instructions you need to get the job done, the skill level required to make it happen relatively smoothly is a rather advanced one.View price on Amazon
- All materials supplied, including siding that bears a 50 year warranty
- Wood for frame and trim comes pre-cut and labelled, requiring no cutting or angling on your part
- Swinging doors come pre-built and ready to install
- Fully detailed assembly guide comes with phone support line
- Skill level required for smooth assembly is quite advanced, even with all supplies and guide; not recommended for beginners
Are you actually in need of so much storage that you’ve been holding out for a shed that might even have a loft? Then we have a feeling you’ll love this barn and loft style kit offered in full by Best Barns Inc. Once again, this kit comes fully stocked with all required pieces and supplies, just like their other kits. This one, however, even comes with asphalt shingles for the wide barn roof over the loft. The swinging doors for both levels come pre-built and ready to simply be installed once you’ve erected and covered the frame. True to the brand, the siding that comes with the kit comes with a 50 year warranty and is already primed for durability. All wooden pieces are measured and cut before arrival, simply requiring you to read the labels and install them as necessary.
Just like the other impressive sheds offered by this brand, this design is no simple walk in the park. It’s theoretically straight forward thanks to clear instructions and the way all pieces and supplies are included and organized, but the actual techniques required are typical of a more advanced skill level. It’s a better choice for people with decently extensive woodworking experience.View price on Amazon
- Pre-primed siding with 50 year warranty
- All pieces required for building and use included in the kit
- Wood for frame and trim pre-cut and ready to install
- Doors for both ground level and loft pre-built and ready to install
- Detailed instructions with 24 hour phone support line
- Technical skills required are typical of a more advanced skillset; kit is not recommended for beginners
Are you looking for something a little less natural and decorative and a little more simple and industrial? Then you might get along better with something like this tool storage shed kit from Outdoor Basic. This kit includes an easy-to-assemble floor frame foundation, complete siding and roof pieces made from rust resistant, durable electro-galvanized steel, and a sliding door system that’s quite simple to install and can be padlocked. The dimensions of this shed are generous and all of the materials used are water and corrosion proof.
Although this straightforward, simple shed kit hasn’t received any complaints from previous buyers, it’s worth nothing that its price point is on the higher end for such a simple design. Of course, this is due to the high durability of the materials, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a determining consideration for some people’s budgets.View price on Amazon
- All materials included with full, detailed instructions
- Floor frame is easy to assemble and sets framework for all other pieces to be installed with ease
- All pieces made from durable electro-galvanized steel, including sliding door system
- All materials treated to be water, rust, and corrosion proof
- On the more expensive end of the spectrum, taking the kit out of some people’s budget range
Are you intrigued by the idea above for its simplicity and materiality but you just don’t have the space for a shed quite that size? In that case, we’d definitely suggest taking a look at this kit from Goplus instead. This particular kit gives you a similar quality, durability, materiality, and simplicity to the one above, but for a yard that requires more space efficiency. The ridged walls and sliding doors are reinforced, pre-cute, and pre-drilled, making them ready to assemble. The shed features ventilation and also the ability to be padlocked to protect the contents. The pieces are all made from electro-galvanized steel that’s corrosion resistant and sturdy.
Be aware that many of the reviews provided claim the finished product of this shed to actually be smaller than the brand claims the dimensions to be. This might be ok if you’re looking for a small shed but you don’t have a minimum size requirement, but some people might find it extremely limiting.View price on Amazon
- Made from corrosion resistant electro-galvanized steel
- Pieces are pre-cut, pre-drilled, and ready to simply be assembled
- Shed features ventilation and padlock rings
- Space efficient dimensions
- Previous buyers report that the shed’s finished dimensions are actually smaller than the listed measurements
Are you still thinking about how much you liked the idea of a shed made from fir wood but you know you don’t have the space in your yard for the larger design you saw at the start of our list? In that case, you might get along better with this more space efficient fir wood alternative from Yoshioe. This design is decently wide and averagely tall but much more shallow, making it fit to stand against a wall. The fir wood is durable and naturally insect and rot resistant. A roof lined with felt paper helps protect the structure itself and the contents from rain and other weather. Though you will need your own tools, all materials and accessories required for setup are included in the kit.
Although most people who have experience with this shed were pleased with the building process and the solidity of the actual structure itself, some had concerns about how lightweight it is as a whole. If you live in a place with extreme weather or you plan on stacking things high inside, you might consider mounting it to the wall or fence behind it, or bolting it down to make it more sturdy.View price on Amazon
- All materials required for building and assembly are included in the kit
- Fir wood is fragrant and gorgeous but also naturally durable, rot resistant and insect repellent
- Shed has good width and height but smaller depth, making it more space efficient and good to stand against a wall or fence
- Felt paper lined roof protects shed and contents against weather
- Some buyers were satisfied with structure solidity but concerned about overall light weight; you might consider bolting it down or affixing it to the wall or fence it stands against
Different types of garden shed kits
Just like there are plenty of different kinds when it comes to garden sheds themselves, whether you’re talking about kits or pre-built designs, there are also all kinds of different garden shed kits that you can invest in. This is great news because it means that, even when you’re not custom designing your own shed from scratch, you’ll still likely be able to find a kit that has the materiality, size, colours, and features that you want and that will work best for your space.
You’ll find garden kits that are:
- Larger than most pre-built designs
- Smaller or more space efficiently shaped than most pre-built designs
- Made of wood
- Made of metal
- Made with higher or lower height dimensions to suit different spaces and their coverage
- That suit different visual aesthetics for yards that you’ve put lots of artistic work into